Kaya Khulu is a villagethe Pilanesberg district. It is unsual in the sense that its inhabitants are originally Zulu-speakers. The AmaHlubi were displaced durig the difaqane fromtheir place of habitation in the foothills of the Drakensberg. One faction settled for a few decades in the eastern Cape, in the Middldrift district. In 1922 thier kgosi, Madoda Zibi a;llegedly met a white ex-soldier who informed him of the availability of land in the Western Transvaal. As his people were experiencing land pressure , Zibi requested permission from the government to move to the western Transvaal. In October 1923 he was granted permission to proceed to the Rustenburg district to acquire land. He purchased half of the farm Rhenosterboom for £1 755 and agreed to rent the other half for £100 a year.The commuinty consisting of about 400 families arrived on the farm on 20 September 1924, a day celebrated annually by his people ever since. He named his village Kaya Khulu (Great Hut or Home).
Due to insufficient funds Zibi initiated the Rustenburg Farm Scheme, offering shares in the farm for £50 per person. However, the scheme was opposed by the government on the grounds that no personal title to the land could be issued. Eventually, in 1927, the farm was registered in the name of the Secretary of Native Affairs in trust for Zibi and his followers. In 1928 another group of 200 Hlubi families from the Mount Frere district under headman Israel Zibi joined those settled at Kaya Khulu. In 1931 Zibi acquired another farm, Rampapaanspoort. The community, however, also used land, such as Miersrust, that connected the two farms belonging to the tribe, for grazing. When Zibi moved to Kaya Khulu, he had lost his title as chief and became a headman. In 1941 his position as headman changed when he was officially appointed as chief with civil and criminal jurisdiction over the community. Some of his councillors apparently opposed this and Zibi was forced to depose them. After the passage of the Bantu Authorities Act in 1951 he was one of the first local officials appointed in the Western Transvaal when his tribe was proclaimed and recognized as the AmaHlubi Tribal Authority on 19 June 1953.