The little town of Marikana began in the year 1870 on the farm Rooikoppes. The indigenous people of the area are the Bapo of Kgosi Mogale who were forcefully removed to Wonderkop in the 1960s. from the one farm in 1870, the settlement was expanded into seven white-owned farms. As in numerous other parts of South Africa, the South African War (SAW) of 1899-1902 disrupted the lives of the people of Marikana. After the SAW, a few Indian families moved into what had then become a small town and opened shops. In 1933, Buffelspoort dam was constructed in the nearby Sterksroom river. This dam enabled the town's farmers to irrigate their crops. By 1950, Marikana had seven white and five black schools. In about 1976, platinum mining began very close to Marikana. The mining town is called Mooinooi. Meanwhile, Marikana was given a municipality status, but as part of, and under, Rustenburg Municipality.