Map showing Mafikeng, Lichtenburg & Zeerust.MOSEGA (SENDLINGSPOST).
Situated on a prominence about twenty kilometres west of Zeerust, Mosega, and the rich valley lands surrounding it, was an outpost of the baHurutshe in the early years of the nineteenth century. After the baHurutshe fled their capital, Kaditshwene in 1824, during the Difaqane, a large number of them encamped briefly at Mosega. They remained here for several years as tributaries of the amaNdebele under Mzilikazi, who took control of the region.
The missionary Robert Moffat of the London Missionary Society visited Mosega in 1829, and the residents asked him to look into the possibility of sending a missionary to assist them. This seemed to come to naught, and in 1831 the baHurutshe visited the French Missionaries, Rolland and Pelissier, of the Paris Evangelical Missionary Society, to request them to establish a station at Mosega. They came the following year, but remained fearful of the nearby amaNdebele, stricken by illness and of little value to the baHurutshe. Indeed Mzilikazi set up a military barracks at Mosega the same year, and the French missionaries, along with their charges, departed in haste.
Mosega was the scene of further conflict in 1836 when a combined Voortrekker/Griqua/ baRolong force attacked Mosega and drove away a large number of cattle. Remarkably, in 1836 the American Board of Commissioners sent out three missionaries to the amaNdebele who also settled in Mosega. The wife of one, Mrs Wilson, met her end during this time and was buried at Mosega. .
The Voortrekkers attacked Mosega twice in 1837. In January they inflicted over a thousand losses upon Mzilikazi's army, and then in November, Hendrick Potgieter led a final commando against Ncalipi, Mzilikazi's commander at Mosega. This is the better remembered of the two engagements, because it led to Mzilikazi's decision to trek north to Matebeleland. In August 1839 Francis Owen and Hewitson of the Church Missionary Society arrived at Mosega. When they found it vacated, they returned to Natal. Its frequent occupation by missionaries earned it the Dutch name Sendlings (Missionaries) post. It was subsequently occupied by the Voortrekkers, who claimed the area by right of conquest. Although the site of the 1837 battle was declared a national heritage site, Mosega is virtually indistinguishable and inaccessible today.